Tuesday, August 19, 2014

10 Years, 10 Questions!

Greetings!

In fear that I might forget/be too busy to do this at the actual time, I found this little questionnaire whilst just browsing online.

WoW will be celebrating its 10th anniversary this coming November! If you haven't already seen them, the events planned for the anniversary look amazing! So without further adieu;


1. Why did you start playing Warcraft?
 I started playing September 14th 2008. My boyfriend and I lived an hour away from each other, so he suggested that we play as a way to spend time together rather than just texting.

2. What was the first ever character you rolled?
(male) Orc Warrior - Ihatekittys

(No I actually don't hate kittys, or cats for that matter :P When I started the game my boyfriend had a level 70 Tauren Warrior named Ihatebabies (Caboose reference) so I spur-of-the-moment decided that it would be funny to see a manly orc running around hating kittens.)

I'm also so stoked that they added the Crazy Cat Man title. :P


3. Which factors determined your faction choice in game?
When I agreed to try the game, all of my friends were playing Horde. So I thought it would be sort of silly if they all were Horde and I went to the opposing faction. The second part of it is that the Alliance seems to pretty and proper for me personally...Blood and thunder! For the Horde!

4. What has been your most memorable moment in Warcraft and why?
Omg you can't ask me this! There are way too many! One that jumps out at me was my first time in VOA and the Grand Black War Mammoth dropped. I had never seen or heard of that mount until then, but a quick wowhead lookup and I wanted it (just like everyone else did :P) So I watched everyone else /roll. The highest roll at this point was my IRL friend with a 97. He started bragging about it in chat saying how the master looter "might as well give the mount to him since no one was going to beat his roll." So I held my breath and typed in my /roll. Lo and behold I one upped him with a 98! I was ecstatic! Every time since then it has been my go-to mount on my warlock :P

(Heads up for not-so-amazing video skillz :P) 

5. What is your favourite aspect of the game and has this always been the case?
I have a few favourites in this game. I'd have to say achievements/pet collecting is what I love doing. One of the first things I bought on the AH when I was a noob back in the day were non-combat pets. From that it grew into my pet collection of today. Even though its just a bunch of code and pixels, it gives you a sense of pride being able to show off that achievement/title/pet/mount etc. that no one has seen or isn't easy to obtain.

6. Do you have an area in game that you always return to?
I have a few, I used to love going to the Ironforge Airfield, Shatterspear Village and Quel'thalas, I made videos about my trips to those places.

It was like they were these little places that some people knew about but hardly anyone went (on my server anyway.) I was so sad when they turned the Airfield and Shatterspear into a legit questing zones. I still fly to them today, but the mystique of them is gone :( And as for Quel'thalas, when Cata hit they extended the invisible wall so you couldn't even get to the little place with the tower :(

7. How long have you /played and has that been continuous?
I currently don't have game time  to check... but I believe last time I checked my main's /played was about 150 days. I did a total of days played  a while ago across every character I have and I think that it was around 500 days. For the first 2 years I played regularly, I took a break for a year and since then I play in spurts. I'm planning to come back soon to farm up some stuff before WoD releases.

8. Admit it: do you read quest text or not?
The first time I do the quest I do. If I'm repeating the quest on a different character I usually just skim.

9. Are there any regrets from your time in game?
Just one, I wish that I had been a bit more chatty in my guild/with friends when I had the chance. I was sort of a mouse in game. I probably came off as a jerk who didn't want to talk but that wasn't the case at all. I had some wonderful times with everyone and I wish that I contributed more, I really do.

10. What effect has Warcraft had on your life outside gaming?
A lot of the time when I see a nice scenery I'll think to myself "hey that looks like blah blah in WoW." WoW has also helped me understand any sort of game that uses 'talent trees.' That used to be a nightmare for me.

And then there's social media. I love to write and edit videos and I guess WoW gave me a purpose to do so. On December 12th 2009 I started this blog. I look back and think that it was so long ago. Looking at all my past posts and all my past YouTube videos, even though the topics are always centered around WoW they help my chronicle bits of my life. I can think that "hey when I went to Shatterspear Village, in the same month I did x and y IRL" sort of thing.

This game also gave me a sense of belonging outside of actually playing the game. WoW is a huge part of the mmorpg industry so there are tons of people who know it, played it and either love it or hate it. It's always a nice feeling to be able to say that you've partaken in a big piece of culture. No matter what the real world brings (or doesn't bring) to you, WoW makes it so easy to make friends and forge relationships without worrying about gender, race, disabilities etc. I know that every online community has its toxic people, but for every toxic person there are so many other good people online just waiting to make a friend.

Well there you have it, this was such a good set of questions! I'm happy to have contributed my snippet of information :)

-Cyphale

1 comment:

  1. I found your answers right after posting my own, and I love what you've written. It paints such a nice picture of years and years of WoW playing. It's always nice to see someone focus on the good people in the community.

    Side note: if you have a mage of at least level 50 or so, you can still get to Quel'thalas! It's my favorite spot in the game, and my mage is parked there right now. I'd be happy to share the method if you're interested -- it may be patched out eventually, but it doesn't involve any harmful exploits at all.

    ReplyDelete